Interested in learning more about Invisalign® clear aligners? Read the answers to the most frequently asked questions at our Mississauga dental clinic, or send us a new one!
Read the answers to our FAQs.
- What is Invisalign?
Invisalign clear, custom aligners are plastic trays that fit over your teeth to straighten them without traditional metal braces.
At the outset of treatment, advanced 3D computer imaging technology will be used to create a treatment plan based on your unique needs.
Based on this plan, a series of custom clear aligners will be made to fit your teeth precisely during each stage of your treatment process.
- How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign clear aligners are designed to move your teeth by tiny increments as your treatment progresses. You will wear each aligner for about two weeks before it is replaced by the next one in the series.
This process will continue until your teeth are in their prescribed, corrected positions. The duration of your treatment will be determined by your orthodontist based on your specific needs.
- How long does treatment take?
Your dentist will determine the duration of your treatment based on your specific needs.
Factors that may determine the duration of your treatment include the misalignment of your teeth or jaw, the shape of your bite, and the amount of movement required to correct the problem.
- What are Invisalign clear aligners made of?
The aligners are made with USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins. They are BPA free.
- How often do I have to visit the dentist?
Since Invisalign clear aligners require no adjustments or tightening, your dentist will schedule brief appointments with you every four to six weeks.
During these appointments, your dentist will review your progress and answer any questions you may have.
- What are the primary features of Invisalign?
Invisalign clear aligners are:
- Discreet when worn
- Smooth and comfortable
- Removable for eating, drinking, brushing and flossing
- How much does Invisalign cost?
The cost of treatment with Invisalign depends on the severity of your case and the duration of your treatment. Ultimately, the cost of treatment with Invisalign is comparable to that of traditional metal braces.
- How will Invisalign fit my lifestyle?
You will probably find that Invisalign fits very comfortably into your daily life.
Because of the low profile appearance, many people won't even notice you're undergoing orthodontic treatment, so the impacts on your social life are very minor.
You can also take your aligners out whenever you need to eat, drink, brush and floss your teeth. That means absolutely no restrictions to your diet and oral hygiene routines.
- Are there any food or drink restrictions?
Invisalign clear aligners are removable so you can simply take them out to eat. This means there are no dietary restrictions, so you can continue to eat all the foods you love!
- How many sets of aligners will I need?
The number of sets of aligners you need will depend on the severity of your misalignment. Only your dentist can give you an accurate estimate of how long treatment will take, based on a careful evaluation of your bite during an initial consultation.
- Can adults use Invisalign?
Yes! Anyone who has healthy teeth and gums is a potential candidate for Invisalign.
More and more adults are deciding to undergo orthodontic treatment these days, in large part because lower profile options like these have become available.
- Can teenagers use Invisalign?
Yes! Teens can certainly be candidates for Invisalign. In fact, there are Invisalign clear aligners designed just for teenagers.
- How often do I have to change my aligners?
Most patients change to the next set of aligners every two weeks or so. Your dentist will tell you exactly how often you should switch your aligners.
- How do I clean my aligners?
- Rinse your aligners each time you remove them to wash away dry saliva and plaque that can result in dental decay and bad breath.
- Soak your aligners using denture cleaner or Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Brush and floss your teeth before you put your aligners back in. Failing to brush and floss properly can trap food debris and bacteria between your teeth and aligner, increasing your risk of dental problems and bad breath.
- Clean your aligners with a clear, anti-bacterial soft soap to keep your aligners clear, fresh, and free from harmful bacteria.
- Brush your aligners gently so as not to scratch them, and then rinse off the soap. Then you're done!
- Can I play sports with Invisalign?
Invisalign clear aligners are removable so you can play sports without worrying about causing damage to your aligners.
However, keep in mind that the aligners must be kept in for about 22 hours a day, so plan your time carefully.
You'll also want to invest in a sports mouth guard to protect your teeth, as orthodontic treatment can cause your teeth to loosen slightly as they shift into their new positions, and this can make them more susceptible to damage.
- Can I play my instrument with Invisalign?
Yes! Simply remove your aligners to practice playing your instrument, and pop them back in when you're done.
- How do I store my aligners?
Your Invisalign aligners come with a case, and this is where you should keep them whenever you take them out.
Can't find the answer you're looking for?
We'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have.
Welcoming New Patients
Looking for a dentist in Mississauga? You're in the right place!Request Appointment
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Tuesday: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Wednesday: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Thursday: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Friday: 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
- Saturday: 09:00 am - 02:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
*Open alternate Saturdays