Isn’t it time you knew the telltale signs of gum disease?
Gum disease happens to more people than you may realize. Fortunately, if you seek proper dental care from our Mississauga, ON, dentists Dr. Brian Kaplansky and Dr. Parneety Randhawa, you’ll find that during these routine visits we are able to detect gum disease during its earliest stage when it’s still reversible. Of course, you may want to keep an eye out for these signs of gum disease, as well:
- Swollen, tender, painful or red gums
- Gums that bleed, particularly when eating, brushing or flossing
- Gums that are starting to pull away from the teeth, making teeth appear longer
- Chronic bad breath
- Mouth sores
- Loose teeth
Of course, many people never even experience symptoms or don’t notice problems until the periodontal disease has become severe. So, what is the best way to prevent this issue from happening to you? Visit your Mississauga, ON, general dentist every six months. While these routine cleanings may not seem important, they are crucial to a healthy mouth. Even if you aren’t experiencing the symptoms listed above, you could still have periodontal disease, so coming in twice a year will ensure that if you do have this problem that we are able to detect it and begin treating it right away.
You will be happy to hear that periodontal disease in its earliest stage (known as gingivitis) can be reversed. If you come in for routine checkups, there is a much better chance that we will be able to pinpoint whether or not you have gingivitis so that we can prevent it from becoming gum disease. We will discuss your oral hygiene and habits to see what simple lifestyle changes need to be put into place in order to improve the health of your gums. You will also need to come in more regularly until we know that your gingivitis is completely gone.
Here are some simple tips for keeping gum disease at bay:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day (once in the morning after breakfast and again at night before bed)
- Floss every day. Flossing is one of the best ways to keep teeth and gums clean and to remove plaque buildup from between teeth
- Come in for bi-annual cleanings and exams to check the health of your smile
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet that is low in processed carbs and sugar
Whether you are experiencing any of these symptoms above or you just need to book your next dental cleaning, turn to the trusted dental experts at Creditview Dental in Mississauga, ON. Call our office to schedule your next visit.